Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

In Times Like These

There are times we all feel we are at our wits end with a situation.  I know I have on many different occasions.  I got a call from someone in one of those situations recently… needing something to just be able to move forward.  Or maybe not move forward, but prevent them from moving backwards or at least stand their ground.

The only thing we can say to people in a situation is, look to Jesus.  All truth and exactly what we need.  However, what does that look like when all you can see around you are people and situations that make you crazy?  Let’s face it, life can be difficult and sometimes it is confusing, frustrating, or downright insane.
So, if I am going to honestly help someone what can I do?? I can’t really change their situation.  I can flippantly give my advice; what I think would be helpful. Or I can pray for them. I am talking about one of those prayers that is don’t in an instant, like “God, you have to help me say the right thing to this person”. 
I like that my friends ask me what I think about something, but really what I am trying to do is help them see God.  I don’t have any answers and that’s what I try to explain.  I understand some of the problems, I can sympathize with someone but I am not them.  I cannot possible know what to say or do to help them. 

But there is One that will always have the answers!  The Lord.

When I was trying to come up with an answer for his particular person, I asked God, “What can I say to them”?
His answer was: She needs Jesus.

Immediately this song went through my head.

In times like these you need a Savior
In times like these you need an anchor;
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!


In times like these you need the Bible,
In times like these O be not idle;
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!

In times like these I have a Savior,
In times like these I have an anchor;
I'm very sure, I'm very sure
My anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!

 Chorus
This Rock is Jesus, Yes, He's the One;
This Rock is Jesus, the only One!
Be very sure, be very sure
Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!

I think that we need to do what the Lord has commanded us to do:

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Dwell on godly things.  Will it change what is happening? Probably not, but what will happen is as we do this we get a new perspective. And what is so great about that??Well, have you ever been working on something and it just wasn't  working right and later you can back and you could clearly see the issue and were then able to work on it?

Well, following Ephesians 5:19 is just like that except when we are listening to God we will gain something else…

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Do I have the answer for this person? No.  But I know Who does.

God is always the answer to any problem or question we have… remove yourself from the situation and look toward God, think about His word, hymns, and good Christian music. 


Refocusing on God is always good and the only thing that can get us through something we don’t know how to move from.

No comments:

Post a Comment