Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Mundane

Today, as I sit here are stare at my Bible just thinking about God, life, and writing a post, I thought, I have nothing to say.How can I have an entire world before me and an entire Bible in front of me and have nothing to say???

Life is regular today, mundane.  Mundane is such a blah word.  It makes me feel like doing what I should even less when I think about it.Mundane according to one dictionary is, “worldly, earthly, common, ordinary, and pertaining to this world or earth as contrasted with heaven”.

I always knew my day to day routine was mundane as the first part of the definition suggests, but I never thought about it being contrasted with heaven… In that case, even the GREATEST part of our day is still mundane.
 
I have heard said that God’s work of maintaining the world as we know it must be very mundane to Him and we should keep doing what we have to do even if it is a “mundane” task,  just like God.

Can God do a mundane task? I guess not according to that definition. I mean if we are comparing our mundane to His, well, that’s just ridiculous.  If I don’t get my mundane job done, the world won’t end, but if God doesn't get his mundane jobs done… there’s going to be problems!!

Which leads me to my job being “mundane”; maybe I am not changing the world with what I do, but even if it feels pretty mundane, it really is important.

Moms and wives are important.  Our world will tell you that our jobs can be done by anyone if we are willing to pay for it.  Clothes can be washed, dried, and folded at a laundromat or cleaners; you can pay someone take care of your house, car, or yard.  You can send your kids to daycare and school and even have a babysitter while you are home if you want. 

Physically speaking, we as moms and wives are "replaceable". But are we???  Are we really??

 Let’s think about our “mundane” routines as pouring LOVE out on those around us.  I love my family and that’s why I do what I should do to make dinner, clean the house, do laundry, etc.  In fact, I had to stop typing to get the next load of laundry out of the dryer and since I was working on this, the thoughts were going through my head, if you always think that you are doing what you do because it pleases the Lord, the so called mundane things take on a new meaning.

Not too many people are going to say thank you for getting most of the things we do all day finished, but I can tell you that God sees it and is happy we have chosen to make doing the ordinary things our ministry.
God is pleased with us even when we do something “mundane” if we have an ETERNAL perspective. And then, the mundane isn't mundane.


Colossians 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

No comments:

Post a Comment