Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

When Tragedy Strikes

As church started last night I sat there physically present but my mind was miles away.  My mind was on things of the past, horrible news I had just heard and what that news is doing now to all that hear it.   News that I don’t care to think about much less write about it.  I wish I could just not think it and it would go away, but this thing is probably going to get worse before it gets better and probably involves much more than people know. L 

As we started our first song my mind came back to church and I smiled.  Amid everything that I was thinking, wondering what was going to be said by our pastor, and worry about who would say what, I smiled.  I smiled because I felt good, peaceful, relieved, and loved. This is the song:

No, Not One!
There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus
No, not one! No, not one!
None else could heal all our souls diseases
No, not one! No, not one!

No friend like Him is so high and holy
No, not one! No, not one!
And yet no friend is so meek and lowly
No, not one! No, not one!

There's not an hour that He is not near us
No, not one! No, not one!
No night so dark but His love can cheer us
No, not one! No, not one!
                                                 
Did ever saint find this Friend forsake him?
No, not one! No, not one!
Or sinner find that He would not take him?
No, not one! No, not one!

Was the e’er a gift like that Saviour given?
No, not one! No, not one!
Will He refuse us a home in Heaven?
No, not one! No, not one!

Chorus:
Jesus knows all about our struggles
He will guide till the day is done
There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus
No, not one! No, not one!

I smiled because I felt God speaking to me through this song.  God is not gone.  God is still very much where he was before all this news became public.  Our eyes have been opened to sin, and I am not trying to justify it, all I am saying is that OUR walk with God is still OURS even though we heard this news.

I keep thinking, what happens now when trust has been broken and many people have anger, doubts, confusion, fears, and questions?  I am thinking, what do we do next?

Again, I am going to say the same thing,  FOCUS ON GOD.

We have example after example of people in the Bible that have done crazy, wicked, or stupid things.  These aren't just stories; these are examples of real people in real situations.  God left us what he wants us to know and things that would help us in his Word.  I can’t tell you what story will speak to you and what you might get out of the story, but that’s the beauty of God, He will! 

He wants us.  He wants to help us.  God wants us to read the Bible. God wants us to pray. 

God wants us!

When tragedy strikes, as I and those around me found out, our first thought shouldn't be to run away from God but TO HIM.  Protecting ourselves and our families doesn't mean hiding out, it means putting our trust back on Him rather than a man.

Jeremiah 17:5-7  Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD.  For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited.  Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.


We all need to look to God.  Look around you today and try to see God.  Remember what you know about Him. Read, listen, or watch what makes you connect with Him.  Rejoice in who He is and what He has done. 

Look at the words again:

No, Not One!
There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus
None else could heal all our souls diseases
No friend like Him is so high and holy
And yet no friend is so meek and lowly
There's not an hour that He is not near us
No night so dark but His love can cheer us
Did ever saint find this Friend forsake him?
Or sinner find that He would not take him?
Was the e’er a gift like that Saviour given?
Will He refuse us a home in Heaven?
Chorus:
Jesus knows all about our struggles
He will guide till the day is done

There's not a friend like the lowly Jesus
No, not one! No, not one!


Thank you Dear Lord that you are the One that watches over us.  Please help each person that reads this message to hear what you are saying.  Heal each and every heart. In Jesus name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment