Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Sometimes I Understand and Sometimes I Am Mad

Sometimes, oftentimes, we can't see past our situation and we make decisions based on what people tell us. When those people let you down it is really hard to know how to process the "information" they gave you. 

I keep running over "things" in my mind and I wonder. Why did I have to do x, y, and z, and now it seems they didn't matter really?  I am confused by people's actions and reactions. Not confused like I don't understand why exactly (we all sin...that's the why) but more that I think why was I told what I was told? What was their purpose? I believe some leaders truly care about people and that's why they do what they do, others I think want to prove something about themselves, others, or even God, and still others, unfortunately, want I use the power for themselves; but  no matter the reason, I still come to the same conclusion that I didn't see, do, or hear something because it wasn't going to be good for me or the greater good. 

It's hard to picture but I am really trying to get a "grip" on something I can't. And I can't because it would involve reliving everything, knowing what I know at this point in my life.  People say hind sight is 20/20. But is it?

We think we know just how it would work out if we knew what we know now then. But if we could go back to a time or place and change something that we think would make things "better" or "right", we would ultimately screw something up in a whole new way. Quite possibly not end up anywhere that we are at now but somewhere completely different and not necessarily good much less better. 

I believe that if we are thinking about a situation and saying what we would do differently, we have just shown ourselves prideful. 

I don't know, still, what God has for me. I wonder a lot about the past and how it all fits together. I wonder what if things were different. Would I be missing the blessing that I have in my life that I take for granted? Would I be missing out on the positive changes I see in myself and others even through the trials?
Would I be in church at all?  Would I have homeschooled Would I still be married?  Would I be working full time wondering how I was going to make the next payment as a single mom? 

I read a book by Dr. Hyles called, "Science of the Christian Life". In that book he references the scripture in Matthew 6:8b for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.  It says he knows what we need before we ask.  If he knows before I ask, he already knew my need before I did.  I think I know what I need. I certainly know what I want, at least at the moment I want it. But if I did get everything I wanted, I would probably end up in a place that really didn't give me what I wanted. 


Learning to be content is always going to be a process for us but I don't think it always has to be a struggle. I may not like what has happened throughout my life but each event in life is a chance to show I am content with what the Lord has given me. I believe that God is watching over us even when we can't see him and gives us what we need at the moment and not before. Pride tells me I did or didn’t deserve something the way that it turned out; that I knew best.


Pride and contentment are two things that don't go together.

Proverbs 16:18
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

I Timothy 6:6
But godliness with contentment is great gain.

Doesn't really seem like a logical thing to pick between, destruction or great gain. I would always pick gain. 

The problem is that we see our surroundings and pick what will make us currently "gaining" rather than the destruction it could cause. Just like when I am scarfing down a bag of Dove chocolates I am NOT thinking about how my clothes will fit. I am thinking about the pleasure for right now.

People sin because that’s what is in us, and it is an unfortunate reality of living in a fallen world.  From little thoughts or decisions to life changing ones, we need to humble ourselves before the Lord and realize that He sees a bigger picture and truly knows what we need.  God isn’t off in the distance and leaving everything completely up to us.  Our God is loving and caring, even through things that aren’t loving...we always need to remember that people are just that and God, well HE IS GOD.  Relying on God will give us contentment because he has promised many things to His people, so many I can’t possibly list them all.  The one I will leave you with was said by David.

Psalm 37: 25-26 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.  He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment