Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Down In December

December "should be" a joyful month but often times it isn't a joy but rather depressing. I am sure there are many reasons people are depressed from unhappy memories of childhood Christmases, anniversaries of a death of a loved one, a sense of emptiness, being overwhelmed by bills, or countless other reasons. 

Each year from late November- early January I find myself getting snappy and sad in between times of actually enjoying the time or events that are taking place.  I can't say when this started because I really don't know, but for the past few years I have noticed this pattern.  I think that my life is actually very good, but there is just something about this time of year that throws me off. 

I have been able to "adjust" my thinking since I have noticed this pattern and although I can't say I don't experience this anymore, it certainly isn't as intense as years past.  I know myself well enough to know that for me this issue is coming, each and every year, and knowing that, I can prepare for it. 

How do I prepare?

First, I expect it; I have noticed the pattern. It seems that we just "accept" things we expect to happen and know we have to deal with it. Check yourself for a pattern; if you are constantly "surprised" by it, it will seem harder. 

Second, I don't pretend it's not there or that everything is just fine. Take it one day at a time and talk to God about it. Do what you can do and don't do what will add stress; know your limit. 

Third, I remind myself that it will pass. I know this is a "season". I don't know why it is here but I also know it will pass. 

Fourth, I don’t make big decisions. During times of sadness, loneliness, or frustration, we shouldn't make big decision as things always seem worse when we are in that kind of state. 

Fifth, I do something that will recharge me. I know that spending time alone whether I am reading, writing, spending time with God, or watching a movie makes me feel better. I don't know where the idea came from that we can't have our time but it's just not so. Some people need time alone and others want lots of people around them, whatever the case, do what you know makes you feel "better" but also be practical and don’t expect being able to chuck your responsibilities for “me time”.

Lastly, realize that all the fun activities and time alone and everything else I listed above isn't lasting. 

At this time of year, or any time of year or during difficulties, the one thing that will help is the Lord.  The only thing that we have that will "last" is being secure in our relationship with Christ…and even that needs to be nurtured!  Nothing in this world can give you the peace you long for because it is all physical and we live in a fallen world.  We all need to spend time with God to understand, and more importantly BELIEVE, the promises that he has told us. Each person’s relationship with God is special and personal. So whether you are sad, frustrated, or down right depressed go work on your relationship with Him because he truly cares about you.

2Timothy 2:19b The Lord knoweth them that are his.

Nahum 1:7 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.

1Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.


Psalm 55:22 Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee:

No comments:

Post a Comment