Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Faith



Don’t you just love it when you read your Bible and something you probably have read a number of times jumps off the page? I do!

That happened just the other day.  I was reading 2 Corinthians, not a book I look at a lot really but I wanted to go through 1 Corinthians and when it was over I just kept going. J  Anyway, the verse that stood out was 1:24 Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand.  

It struck me because Paul said he wasn’t to have dominion over their faith but help them to have joy.  Maybe most people don’t have this problem but I imagine that if I thought it, someone else has too.

Building faith is a personal experience.  I can see something someone else has gone through and have my faith increased, but there is nothing like experiencing a trial to really make your faith grow.  Here are the things that I noticed most out of this verse. ..

We are to be joyful.  A joyful Christian can show a lot more of God’s love than someone who is just doing what needs to be done, no matter what their motivation.

We stand by faith.  Each one of us has decided to follow God…that is faith.  Step by step we are on a journey to get to know Him and experience Him in new ways.  Our “walk” shouldn’t be a list of things we can or cannot do but a desire to believe and see who He is.

We are to have dominion over our own faith. This one struck me the most!  I can learn something from anyone.  Learning from someone else doesn’t always mean they did it right, we can learn from other’s errors too.  But in that learning, we have to remember that each one of us has dominion!
Dominion is, according to Webster’s, to rule, supreme authority, and absolute ownership and Strong’s say, to be lord of.

I have dominion over MY faith… of course I do! Absolute ownership?! Well, of course!   I pick what I believe and what I do.  I am controlling myself.  I should, out of love for my Saviour, pick what God has shown me in the Bible and is speaking to me about, but I should never give control of my faith to anyone. 

As a Christian, we have one God. Each person has their own faith.  That faith will look different in each person. We don’t read our Bible, read books, go to a conference, or even go to church so that we can all do the same thing.  We read and go to those places so our faith can be stronger. I guess in my years of reading books, going to conferences, and even attending church, I never really got that I have dominion over my faith.  As odd as this is, I think I “gave” it to others, not really knowing I even had it in the first place or maybe it was I was waiting for faith to find me, I don’t really know.  I see it now, but I didn’t see it at all before. 

Faith that can be tried. 
Faith that can be crushed.
Faith that can be grown.
Faith that is sometimes small.
Faith that is sometimes great.
Faith in a God that loves me.   
Faith in my Saviour. 


The Lord is ruler of my life, but while walking on this journey, I have full dominion over my faith.



No matter who tells me what, my faith is mine alone to share with the One that loves me.





No comments:

Post a Comment