Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Detour We Didn’t Know We Took



My mind is moving so fast with the thoughts are going through my head so I hope I am clear with what I am saying. I am especially thinking about one person as I write these words (not the one I was on the phone with). This person is a very special person to me and it hurts me to know how much she's hurting right now.

I just got off the phone with a dear friend; we are talking and working through a lot of different things from the past. I don't want to sit and point and blame, nor not take responsibility nor do I desire to stay stuck where I have been, but I often find myself doing those things.  But that is completely not my goal.

I think that in our desire to follow God we took a detour we didn't know we took. I think that in living the Christian life we forgot about Christ.

My friend said something about taking the side road and turning left, when we didn't know we did. In this post, like I said, I'm not pointing fingers, I'm not blaming anyone, but I'm just kind of clarifying what's in my head and my heart.

No one can understand each person's personal journey as they continue to move forward to a better relationship with the Lord; however I think that we all share some of the same things very often.

First, I think that we need to focus ourselves on Christ. How you do this is totally up to you and between you and God. No one can tell you what it will take for you to get to a point where you finally understand his love and grace and his commitment to you.
Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Second, I think that we as believers need each other. I think that there is a difference between getting encouragement and gossiping. I don't know that line was ever clearly established that we would know the difference however the Bible even tells us we should get godly council.
Proverbs 11:14 Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Third, we will be tempted to use many different things to replace God. It's so easy for us to see the physical, here and now, but we need to focus on the eternal rather than the physical.
1 Corinthians 10:13–14 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it. Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

Are you on a detour? Did your Christian walk turn into more of a wandering? I know these things were true for me and I'm sure at times will happen again. But right now, I'm focused on God and can see him working. It doesn't change what may or may not have happened, nor does it change everything about my life, but my perspective (again prospective) has changed. Focus your eyes on God and ask him to change your heart and change your mind to lineup with what He says in the Bible.

A detour is used temporarily because something needs to be straightened out, adjusted, fixed, corrected... whatever.

It's time to get back on the main highway.

To my friend whose name I am not saying, God knows. God sees. God loves you. God will use everything that you have gone through. God cares that you are hurting. God knows what you feel and think...He understands.

AND YA KNOW WHAT?

HE STILL LOVES YOU AND WANTS TO BE WITH YOU.  Turn to Him. He is our help.

JESUS is still the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment