Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Monday, June 2, 2014

My Skunk House



I have a very old house. Such an old house that the basement is not ventilated; there are no windows that can be opened, there is one door but it can't actually be opened  because we had a lot of problems so it's more like a weird part of the wall.  I have always been bothered by the fact that it's been enclosed and so musty...always been a pet peeve, or irritation.

Lately, we have had a skunk living under the house. And when I say under the house, I don’t mean under the front porch and not a big deal…I mean under the house as in if I wanted to cut open the floor it would be right there… Yuck.  The skunk has been kind enough to make sure he's known frequently that he is also a resident here. In the past month we have gotten our house sprayed several times, I think we are up to 4 or 5, with one time being absolutely atrocious! Most days there was "regular" skunk smell or just a "hint of skunk". How do I know there's a hint of skunk? It's because I have a nose like a hound dog apparently; people tell me often that they don't smell things and I do. So for the past month we've had the skunk just stinking up the place. I called the man to get the skunk removed and it didn't want to leave... A trap was set for a few days and it just wasn't happening. So, they removed the trap and said they would try when it wasn't so rainy. (Did you know that skunks don't like rain... I do now).

Well, we waited for the cool rain to stop... Got skunked again and had to call. The man said it wasn't going to fall for a regular trap so he was going to use a different one. Good! Make it stop! :/  Well, day one there was nothing, and day two, nothing :( but day three!! Day three I woke up to the smell of skunk again :( and I checked the trap (which means I carefully and slowly walked to the back stairs-from the front door- and glanced and ran away) and there was a skunk! Gross. But it was going to be gone! It was...the smell wasn't... and it was getting stronger.  We left for church and when we arrived home, we got a punch in the face of skunk smell as we walked in the front door. I checked the trap in the same fashion as earlier but just a little bit more bravely since I called the man that was trapping it between Sunday school and regular service and just KNEW he would have removed it. He did! :)  Later, when we got home from evening church I opened the door and was so excited to not smell skunk! Yippie!!  And my nose has been smelling it for a month, so this was making me do a happy dance.

Today, I went downstairs to do laundry and ya know what!?!?? It, for the first time in at least a month, smelled like A MUSTY BASEMENT!  I was SO HAPPY! Yeah! My basement smells like that musty, old basement smell.  I love that smell today!!


So what does this have to do with anything spiritual? I'm glad you asked! ;)

Often, we have something and it isn't as good, nice, in style, or even just what we want or think it's what we deserve, but it is quite functional and serves its purpose and really is just fine.  My basement has issues but that doesn't mean it isn't doing its job...it's the foundation of my house so it seems it's doing a pretty good job. And I can do things so it isn’t as strong… and I did/do…I learned what needed to be done.
I am not an expert on waiting for God to answer and smiling through the trials. Oh no! Quite the opposite but I am learning.


God gives us what we need. He says in the bible that he knows what we need before we ask.
Matthew 6:8b for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

God doesn't give us something because often we are asking for something we want.
James 4: 3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

And God uses what he needs  to get us  where HE wants us to be.
Philippians 2:13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.



Here is my conclusion from today when I enjoyed the musty smell that bothered me so much before:
-God was so good to remove that stink so quickly!
-I need to appreciate things that aren't really what I want because, it could be worse.
-I need to focus on God more than what's around me
-Sometimes what you have really isn't as bad as it seems.

Today I could smile at what made me frown before. Something changed...a nasty smell, but sometimes we just have to wait until it's the right time. God wants everything in our lives to turn our hearts back to him. I REALLY don't think I need a skunk stinking up the place for me to turn to him, but ya know what? It worked.  I have talked to Him a lot about it and I dealt with it. I didn't "flip my lid" (the skunk doesn't care). But I did just keep going on with my walk with the Lord and did what I could do. (and asked I wouldn't smell that smell so well!)
  
Am I thankful I had a skunk???  No way!!!  I am thankful that I can praise God I don't usually have one, that the smell is gone, the dog didn't get sprayed, that it is gone, and that God was still here even during this!

We all have things cross our paths. Rather than see them has another thing going wrong in our lives, let's try to look to God and realize sin is in the world and Satan is attacking. Let's not let him win because our God is amazing and stronger than anything Satan can throw at us!!

1 John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

Most things can glorify God, if we let Him work.  And what will I do if a skunk comes again? Same thing as I did this time:  Pray.  Keep a spiritual focus.  And plug my nose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment